This is not a tutorial with codes, its a tutorial to make people aware about Cloud Computing, later posts will have tutorials with examples of App Engine. Before we move into Cloud Computing and its characteristics. Lets take the word cloud.
Cloud is a place or an area where we have all the components of cloud computing, basically its a metaphor for the Internet. By components I mean Server (Application/Back-up), Database, Back-up Storage, Network etc.
So the above explanation was to let to know what does CLOUD means in the web domain.
Now Cloud Computing, is again a term which is a metaphor used for delivering the computing requirements as a service. And Software as a Service (Saas) is the Cloud Segment because of which Cloud Computing has seen a boom. We will get back to it later in other post.
The phrase,"ON DEMAND, ON COMMAND" is the one that goes with cloud computing, as it makes services available whenever you want and wherever you want i.e. on the go.
Below is the logical Structure of Cloud Computing :
The above diagram shows what actually Cloud Computing Structure looks like.
A cloud application can be accessed via web browser or a light weight desktop or mobile app while the business software and data are stored on servers at a remote location.
All Cloud computing models rely heavily on sharing of resources to achieve coherence and economies of scale similar to a utility over a network (typically the Internet).
Cloud Computing Characteristics :
* Device and Location Independence
* Cost cutting in terms of setting up infrastructure as it is provided by a third-party and does not need to be purchased for one-time or infrequent intensive computing tasks.
* Fault tolerance increases i.e. if one server goes down then it doesn't mean that the whole web applicaton goes down, instead the other server takes over(back-up server).
* Virtualization tech. allows the devices and storage to be shared among every user and processes.
* Reliability is improved if multiple redundant sites are used, which makes well-designed cloud computing suitable for business continuity and disaster recovery.
* Scalability via dynamic ("on-demand") provisioning of resources on a fine-grained, self-service basis near real-time, without users having to engineer for peak loads.
* Performance is monitored, and consistent and loosely coupled architectures are constructed using web services as the system interface.
* Security could improve due to centralization of data, increased security-focused resources, etc., but concerns can persist about loss of control over certain sensitive data, and the lack of security for stored kernels.
Some of the companies offering cloud for usage are Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Apple etc. and the most famous ones that we use daily is the GOOGLE DOCS. Its a cloud based application.
We will be giving tutorial on how to work with Google App Engine with live working example made by Code 2 Learn.